List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] A change in wording could attract more women to infosec
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2015-11-20 13:32:36

http://www.csoonline.com/article/3005406/it-careers/a-change-in-wording-could-attract-more-women-to-infosec.html

By Lysa Myers
CSO
Nov 17, 2015

Information security is an endeavor that is frequently described in terms
of war: Red team. Blue team. White hat. Black hat. Battle plan. Kill
chain. Command and Control. Trojan horse. Payload. Demilitarized zone.
Reconnaissance. Infiltration. Adversary. But what would the gender balance
of this industry be like if we used more terms from other disciplines?

At the recent National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE)
conference, I found myself in several discussions about the possibility
that battlefield verbiage caused girls to avoid pursuing InfoSec careers.
Answering the question above is not a simple task, but we may take some
clues from history, as well as other industries, to view the
possibilities.

The biggest reason we use so many battle-related security phrases is
probably because the military has long been an incubator for new
technology. Protecting that machinery and knowledge from prying eyes is no
small feat; the military trains and employs a great number of people to
secure its systems. As a result, many people involved in cybersecurity
started their careers in military or government organizations.

As far as gender imbalances go, the military is nearly as lopsided as the
InfoSec industry: 14.5 percent of the active duty force as of 2013 was
comprised of women, with only 7.1 percent of the top ranks being held by
women. In cybersecurity specialties 14 percent of personnel are female.
Though, as is described in the previous link, many of those women have
gone on to high-ranking positions in government and private sector
organizations.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.