List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Islamic State has 'best cyber offence' of any terrorist group
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2015-06-05 8:50:55

http://www.zdnet.com/article/islamic-state-has-best-cyber-offence-of-any-terrorist-group/

By Stilgherrian
ZDNet News
June 5, 2015

"ISIS [also known as Islamic State] came onto the scene very quickly, but
they already have arguably the best cyber offensive capability of any
extremist movement out there, and it's still early days," Mikko Hypponen,
chief research officer at F-Secure said.

"We still haven't seen real physical damage being done by any extremist
group, and it's probably going to take a while until we see it. But these
guys are the first ones that actually have some existing hackers who have
joined them and moved in from the West," Hypponen told the AusCERT
Information Security Conference on Australia's Gold Coast in his keynote
address on Friday morning.

"It's not yet really a big problem, but obviously this isn't getting
better, this is getting worse," he said.

One such hacker is Abu Hussain Al Britani, a British citizen that F-Secure
had been tracking as a traditional hacker three years ago. They lost track
of him two years ago, but found him again last summer in Syria.

Al Britani has been kicked off Twitter around 20 times, but appears to be
tweeting again this week.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.