List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Obama talks cybersecurity, but Federal IT system breaches increasing [Updated]
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2015-01-21 8:39:04

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/01/obama-talks-cybersecurity-but-federal-it-systems-breaches-increase/

By David Kravets
Ars Technica
Jan 20, 2015

Update: This post was updated Tuesday evening to reflect comments the
president made during his State of the Union address:

President Barack Obama urged Congress and the American public to embrace
cyber security legislation during his State of the Union address Tuesday
evening. The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, known as
CISPA, was unveiled by Obama a week ago and is controversial because it
allows companies to share cyber threat information with the Department of
Homeland Security—data that might include their customers' private
information.

"No foreign nation, no hacker, should be able to shut down our networks,
steal our trade secrets, or invade the privacy of American families,
especially our kids. We are making sure our government integrates
intelligence to combat cyber threats, just as we have done to combat
terrorism. So tonight, I urge this Congress to finally pass the
legislation we need to better meet the evolving threat of cyber-attacks,
combat identity theft, and protect our children's information. That should
be a bipartsan effort. If we don't act, we'll leave our nation and our
economy vulnerable. If we do, we can continue to protect the technologies
that have unleashed untold opportunities for people around the globe," the
president said without identifying his CISPA proposal and others by name.

New research out earlier Tuesday from George Mason University, however,
calls into question how effective Obama's proposal would be. That's
because the federal government's IT professionals as a whole have "a poor
track record in maintaining good cybersecurity and information-sharing
practices." What's more, the federal bureaucracy "systematically" fails to
meet its own federal cybersecurity standards despite billions of dollars
in funding.

According to a paper by Eli Dourado, a George Mason research fellow, and
Andrea Castillo, manager of the university's Technology Policy Program:

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.