List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Tesla recruits hackers to boost vehicle security
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2014-08-27 16:35:45

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2597937/security0/tesla-recruits-hackers-to-boost-vehicle-security.html

By Jaikumar Vijayan
Computerworld
Aug 26, 2014

Electric carmaker Tesla Motors wants security researchers to hack its
vehicles. In coming months, the Silicon Valley based high-tech carmaker
will hire up to 30 full-time hackers whose job will be to find and close
vulnerabilities in the sophisticated firmware that controls its cars.

"Our security team is focused on advancing technology to secure connected
cars," a company spokesman said via email. The focus is on "setting new
standards for security and creating new capabilities for connected cars
that don't currently exist in the automotive industry. The positions are
full time, and we will have internship opportunities as well."

Tesla's cars are among the most digitally connected vehicles in the
industry with the battery, transmission, engine systems, climate control,
door locks and entertainment systems remotely accessible via the Internet.

So the company has a lot at stake in ensuring that the connectivity that
allows its vehicles to be remotely managed doesn't also provide a gateway
for malicious hackers.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.