List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Police Grapple With Cybercrime
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2014-04-22 5:26:12

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304626304579508212978109316-lMyQjAxMTA0MDIwMTEyNDEyWj

By DANNY YADRON
The Wall Street Journal
April 20, 2014

When cybercriminals stole $2.5 million from the state of Utah in 2009,
authorities got most of the money back—but never could find their man.

The money was wired to a bank account in Texas, officials said, as a step
before an attempt to move it overseas. Utah authorities managed to freeze
much of the funding in the U.S., but couldn't figure out how the state
agency got hacked and by whom, officials said. At one point, state
investigators sought a man with a false name at a nonexistent address.

"It was just, for us, kind of a helpless feeling," Utah Commissioner of
Public Safety Keith Squires said of the incident.

As crime is increasingly moving online, state and local police—who have
spent decades refining how to track down murderers, thieves and drug
dealers—are having a hard time keeping up.

"It probably is one of the most perplexing questions right now in terms of
state and local policing: How do they handle this stuff?" said Richard
McFeely, who recently stepped down as the top cybersecurity official at
the Federal Bureau of Investigation. "We're not generally working these
cases. We need to get out ahead of this."

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/