List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] UK man charged with hacking Federal Reserve
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2014-02-28 9:08:20

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246650/UK_man_charged_with_hacking_Federal_Reserve

By Grant Gross
IDG News Service
February 27, 2014

A British man faces new charges in the U.S. for allegedly hacking into the
Federal Reserve Bank's servers and stealing names, email addresses and
other personal information of the bank's computer users.

Lauri Love, already facing charges in New Jersey and Virginia, is charged
with one count of computer hacking and one count of aggravated identity
theft in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, said
Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney there.

Documents charging Love in New York were unsealed Thursday.

"Lauri Love is a sophisticated hacker who broke into Federal Reserve
computers, stole sensitive personal information, and made it widely
available, leaving people vulnerable to malicious use of that
information," Bharara said in a statement. "We place a high priority on
the investigation and prosecution of hackers who intrude into our
infrastructure and threaten the personal security of our citizens."

It was unclear who is representing Love in the U.S. cases.

Love used a SQL attack to infiltrate the bank's servers, according to a
press release. In late December 2012, Love told other hackers in an IRC
chat room that he had gained control of the server for the Federal Reserve
Bank in Chicago, according to the indictment in New York. He also gained
access to a Federal Reserve Bank server in New York, the U.S. Department
of Justice alleged.

[...]

--
Find the best IT Security talent without breaking your recruiting budget - Jobs \
cross-posted to Simply Hired, Facebook and LinkedIn. Hot InfoSec Jobs - \