List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] EXCLUSIVE - CSEC used airport Wi-Fi to track Canadian travellers: Edward Snowden documents
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2014-01-31 8:46:49

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/csec-used-airport-wi-fi-to-track-canadian-travellers-edward-snowden-documents-1.2517881

By Greg Weston, Glenn Greenwald, Ryan Gallagher
CBC News
Jan 30, 2014

A top secret document retrieved by U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden and
obtained by CBC News shows that Canada's electronic spy agency used
information from the free internet service at a major Canadian airport to
track the wireless devices of thousands of ordinary airline passengers for
days after they left the terminal.

After reviewing the document, one of Canada's foremost authorities on
cyber-security says the clandestine operation by the Communications
Security Establishment Canada ( CSEC) was almost certainly illegal.

Ronald Deibert told CBC News: "I can't see any circumstance in which this
would not be unlawful, under current Canadian law, under our Charter,
under CSEC's mandates."

The spy agency is supposed to be collecting primarily foreign intelligence
by intercepting overseas phone and internet traffic, and is prohibited by
law from targeting Canadians or anyone in Canada without a judicial
warrant.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News