List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Lockheed-Martin to invest in Israeli cybersecurity know-how
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2014-01-28 6:25:32

http://www.timesofisrael.com/lockheed-martin-to-invest-in-israeli-cybersecurity-know-how/

By David Shamah
The Times of Israel
January 27, 2014

For its first major investment in Israeli technology, Lockheed-Martin is
looking for innovative cyber-security ideas and projects -- which would
seem a bit out of character for a company best known for defense systems,
aerospace, and even space systems. "A lot of people do think that, but it
happens that we actually do a lot of information technology work, which
means we need a lot of cyber-security," said Chandra McMahon, Senior VP
Commercial Markets, Lockheed Martin IS&GS. "We need good cyber
technologies to protect our customers, and Israel is a great place for
that."

At a special ceremony Monday, McMahon, along Bob Eastman, Vice President
Global Solutions at Lockheed-Martin, Dr. Orna Berry, head of EMC Israel,
and Professor Rivka Carmi, President of Ben Gurion University, signed a
deal in which the three organizations will work together to ferret out
promising Israeli cyber-security start-ups, and help them develop their
technology into commercial products. Under the deal, the companies will
invest together and fund start-ups, which will work at EMC's R&D
facilities in the Advanced Technologies Park in Beersheva.

LH's Information Systems & Global Solutions unit (IS&GS), which McMahon
helps run, is a large division of Lockheed-Martin that is not typically
associated with the company -- but as it happens, LH is the number one IT
solutions provider to the U.S. federal government. "We have nearly $9
billion in sales annually, supporting our clients in the private sector,
government, and defense arena," said McMahon. "All of them use our systems
and need cyber-security solutions, which we help them to find and
maintain. And of course, as a leading defense contractor, we ourselves are
prime targets for hackers."

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News