List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] How Antisec Died
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2013-11-25 7:15:17

https://medium.com/quinn-norton/654abf6aeff7

By Quinn Norton
Medium.com
November 22, 2013

Jeremy Hammond, Sabu, and the Intelligence-Industrial Complex

First, an introduction: I write about hackers, and for the past few years
that has meant I write about Anonymous. At the time of the Stratfor hack I
was working for Wired covering Anonymous — notably the antics of Antisec
anons much of the time. I had missed the Lulzsec period, which I spent
under federal investigation myself. From February to July of that year I
stayed away from the hacker world, unsure if my computer would be seized
and unwilling to draw my sources into a possible fishing expedition.

By the winter of 2011, I was making up for lost time. I'd become deeply
involved with the day to day lives of active anons working on all sorts of
actions, from Occupy support to street protests. And of course, I talked
with members of Antisec on a daily basis. In accordance with my rules for
coverage, no communication with anyone in Anonymous was ever logged unless
it was an on-the-record interview permitted for printing. Even then, my
notes didn't preserve handles, the format of communication, or even urls
of places we'd communicated. I never knew who anyone was in real life, and
made it publicly clear that I would never work with any anon who revealed
their identity to me.

This was in part because I didn't want my work to become involved in any
court cases, but also because for the nature of my coverage, I didn't
believe, and still don't, that the legal identity of individuals tells us
much about the collective I was writing about.

As a result, much of the story I have to tell of what really happened to
Antisec comes of years-old memories. There are almost no notes anywhere to
support the conversations I will claim to have had with people I can no
longer find and never knew in anything like real life. Some of the details
may have faded from memory. But the story has not.

[...]

--
Dean Bushmiller teaches a great 5-Day CISM in Albany NY Dec. 2 – 6.
Call 327-937-9786 for details.