List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Problem 6: Burned Out Yet?
From:       InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews ! org>
Date:       2010-03-30 6:34:28

http://blogs.csoonline.com/1181/problem_6_burned_out_yet

By Dan Lohrmann
Lohrmann on GovSpace
CSO
2010-03-28

"I love my job!" Can you say that? Honestly?

Or, maybe we should take off the exclamation point and change a few
words around. How about: "My job is pretty cool, and I like being a
security pro on most days. The pay is decent."

Or, perhaps you.ve had enough. "I'm fed up at work. Truth be told, I'm
looking for another job. I'm disgusted with my boss, co-workers,
customers or (fill in the blank). I need a change of scenery - real bad.
Driving a truck across the country or plowing snow near some Colorado
ski resort is sounding pretty good right now."

Most security professionals that I know experience symptoms of burnout
at some stage in their professional career. In fact, one poll last year
revealed that over half of the security professionals surveyed were
unhappy in their jobs. Perhaps you just need to get away on one of those
Southwest Airlines vacation deals. True, a certain amount of stress
comes with all jobs, but particular career choices tend to bring more
burnout than others.

While a comparison between security professionals and doctors who work
80+ hours a week may seem like a stretch, I do believe that this issue
is more of a career-killer for security pros than for many other career
tracks. (One friend commented, "It's true that doctors work long,
stressful hours, but they get paid for it. We don't.")

Or perhaps you've already moved to that company across town (or the
country) - more than once. Your career aspirations aren't being met.
You've come to the realization that your problems are not
company-specific or even related to sub-par pay or benefits. You're
considering a new line of work or at least a different security role.

You might be dealing with:

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/