List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Forced Attrition by Carole Fennelly
From:       InfoSec News <isn () c4i ! org>
Date:       2001-05-29 14:36:36

http://www.wkeys.com/articles/CF/attrition.html

One of my favorite bookmarks is attrition.org. Offering computer
security candor often wrapped around a raised middle finger, Attrition
is best known for hosting the Web's largest collection of defacement
mirrors. But no longer. The site recently announced it will no longer
maintain the mirror that made it infamous.

http://www.attrition.org/news/content/01-05-21.001.html

This announcement has led to widespread rumours and speculations on
the motivations behind this move and possible side-effects most of
them wrong. The most common misconception is that Attrition is
"logging off" or "throwing in the towel" because the staff can't keep
up with web site defacements.

Attrition stafferBrian Martin, better known as "Jericho" graciously
took some time out of his swamped schedule to answer some questions on
the subject.

Q & A with Jericho of attrition.org

Q:  I've seen quite a few headlines that refer to Attrition as
"retiring" or "throwing in the towel". What's your response to these
statements?

A:  Attrition is certainly not retiring or going away. We are simply
retiring a single aspect of the site at this time, just as we have
with others in the past. The mirror was one of the higher profile
parts of attrition, thus some people making hasty remarks about us
'going away'. It is unfortunate that they have missed out on the rest
of the site all this time.

[...]

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---