List:       isn
Subject:    Re: [ISN] Believe it or not, there are hackers lurking everywhere
From:       InfoSec News <isn () C4I ! ORG>
Date:       2000-08-26 19:31:58

Forwarded By: Mcaston <mcaston@insnet.com>

[Last one on this topic I'm going to repost. -WK]

As a consultant I can't really take offense at an article/commentary
as sophmoric as this (Keong):

1.) Look at a Consultant's resume and Interview them...that's a given!
What about background checks and et al...let's put a little meat into
the recomendation!

2.) $100 per hour...maybe in the '70's.  Regardless, a consultant at
$40K per year billing $100 per hour would yield no more than 30%
percent profit on an 1600 Hour year...as in 40-50K profit...ever heard
of benefits and overhead??

3.) What does open source software release have to do with hiring
consultants...it may or may not (tangentially) help with trouble
shooting, security, and upgrading certain platforms, but is
inconsequential when one considers the primary thrust of this
"article" is trusting Consulting firms (with "hackers") Vs.
Independents.

When talking about independents, why not talk about somthing
meaningful, like: PLI, Background checks, refernce checks, educational
verification, Industry association, certifications (hardly a true
measure of skill, but they can't hurt.)