List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Mitnick reacts to speaking ban
From:       William Knowles <wk () C4I ! ORG>
Date:       2000-04-30 1:10:51

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1781398.html?tag=st.ne.1002.thed.1005-200-1781398

By Paul Festa
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
April 29, 2000, 7:00 a.m. PT

Q&A Convicted hacker Kevin Mitnick is back in the news over the
Justice Department's unhappiness with his speaking on the lecture
circuit.

Mitnick, recently released from prison, was told by his probation
officer earlier this week that such appearances violate the terms of
his parole. Under his plea agreement, he is prohibited from using
computers, mobile phones or any other device to access the Internet
for three years.

News.com caught up with Mitnick as he prepared to challenge the
decision to bar him from speaking and writing engagements.

CNET News.com: Since your release, where have you been engaged to
speak and write?

A: I've been a commentator to Fox News, Court TV, CNN and Canada AM.
I've written for Newsweek and Time, though Newsweek killed the article
when they found out I was writing for Time the same week. I wrote an
op-ed piece for the Guardian in the U.K. Brill's Content wanted me to
write a critique of articles in the computer trade press, but I'm
being precluded from doing that.

Q: Couldn't there be some concern about your profiting from your
crimes?

A: I signed an assignment agreement as part of my settlement. It says
that if were to write a book that I couldn't profit from that for
seven years. It was a side agreement to settle the case. The money
would go to the government for anything portraying the story of my
crime. I don't intend to write a book about my experience because of
that limitation.

Q: How did the directive on speaking and writing come about?
A: I got a letter from the department on April 12th. My probation
officer was very supportive of my doing these engagements, but when he
submitted a request to his supervisor, they made an executive decision
not to send it to the judge, to deny any further participation as a
writer for technology or as a speaker. The April 12th letter confirmed
that they had changed their mind.

Q: What would the consequences be if you violated the terms of the
letter?