List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Infamous Computer Hacker Under Fire
From:       William Knowles <wk () C4I ! ORG>
Date:       2000-04-28 14:22:28

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/tech/2000/apr/28/042800288.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kevin Mitnick, the notorious computer hacker
accused of causing millions of dollars in damage to technology
companies, has been ordered to get off the lecture circuit or risk
going back to prison.

The federal probation department sent word through his probation
officer that his activities must stop, Mitnick said Thursday.

"They're saying I can no longer write or speak about technology
issues." Mitnick said in a telephone interview. "I think it is an
abrogation of my First Amendment rights. ... Probation is not supposed
to be punitive."

Government officials could not be reached for comment after business
hours Thursday.

Mitnick, who was released in January after nearly five years in
federal prison, allegedly cost companies and institutions millions of
dollars by stealing their software and altering computer information.
Victims included such companies as Motorola, Novell, Nokia and Sun
Microsystems, and the University of Southern California.

He became an icon to some hackers after leading the FBI on a
three-year manhunt that ended in 1995 when investigators traced his
electronic footprints to a Raleigh, N.C., apartment.

Under a plea agreement, U.S. District Judge Mariana Pfaelzer
prohibited Mitnick for three years after his release from any access
to computers, cellular telephones, televisions or any equipment that
can be used for Internet access. She said that she thought Mitnick
would be unable to earn anything above minimum wage.

However, a recent Internet report said Mitnick had some $20,000 worth
of speaking engagements scheduled through August.

"They don't like the idea of my being like a celebrity," Mitnick said.
"They are trying to chill my free speech in hopes that my notoriety
will die down."

Mitnick, 36, said he has been trying to educate others about
protecting themselves against cyberspace intrusions.

"This is good for the public and good for me because I feel
productive," Mitnick said. "I recognize the errors of my past and I
want to be productive."

Mitnick, who served nearly five years in prison, said probation
officials have instructed him to find employment in a field totally
unrelated to computers. He has refused.

"I'm not going to spend time and money educating myself in a new field
when in two years I'll be off probation and can go back to computers,"
he said.