List:       isn
Subject:    [ISN] Cursor software tracks Web traffic
From:       mea culpa <jericho () DIMENSIONAL ! COM>
Date:       1999-12-06 19:19:11

http://www.sjmercury.com/svtech/news/breaking/ap/docs/1133907l.htm

Posted at 12:21 a.m. PST Tuesday, November 30, 1999

Cursor software tracks Web traffic

BY TED BRIDIS
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Popular software used by more than 16 million people to
change a Web browser's computer cursor into cartoon characters and other
images is quietly tracking its customers across the Internet and recording
which Web pages they visit.

New York-based Comet Systems Inc.'s free cursor software reports back to
its own computers with each customer's unique serial number each time that
person visits any of 60,000 Web sites -- including dozens aimed at young
children -- that support its technology.

Computer privacy experts expressed dismay over the behind-the-scenes
communications, which are sent without warning. But the company insists it
is not violating customers' privacy because it does not attempt to match
serial numbers against anyone's real-world identity. It published an
explanation of its practices on its Internet site Monday after it was
contacted by The Associated Press.

``We don't know your gender, your age or anything except you're a Web
browser visiting sites,'' Comet spokesman Ben Austin said. ``There's not a
lot of reason to crunch that data because I don't see that it's in
anyone's economic interests. We're stating for the record that we don't do
that and we never will.''

Austin said the company tracks those serial numbers for a census of its
customers, who aren't asked to disclose their names or e-mail addresses,
and because some Web sites pay Comet based on the number of visitors using
the cursor-changing technology.

Critics said the company should have more openly disclosed the
transmissions to its customers. They also contend it would not be very
difficult with today's technology to begin correlating the Comet serial
number with a consumer's identity if the company suddenly decided to or if
Comet -- with its extensive tracking database -- were purchased by new
owners willing to do that.

[snip..]

ISN is sponsored by Security-Focus.COM