List:       irrtoolset
Subject:    Re: "set sources" and data cacheing
From:       Ruediger Volk <rv () kronos ! NIC ! DTAG ! DE>
Date:       2010-06-28 8:09:49

  > Looks like the "@rtconfig set sources" command does not interact properly
  > with the object cache:
  >
  > > rtconfig> @rtconfig set sources = "RIPE"
  > > rtconfig> @rtconfig printPrefixes "can haz %p/%l\n" filter as-inexie
  > > can haz 193.242.111.0/24
  > > can haz 194.88.240.0/23
  > > rtconfig> @rtconfig set sources = "RADB"
  > > rtconfig> @rtconfig printPrefixes "can haz %p/%l\n" filter as-inexie
  > > can haz 193.242.111.0/24
  > > can haz 194.88.240.0/23
  > > rtconfig>
  >
  > The second command should return nothing because there is no data in
  > whois.radb.net keyed on AS-INEXIE with source "RADB".
  >
  > I haven't really looked at the cacheing code.  Does the code store the
  > object source: tag?  If it does, this is should be a relatively simple bug.
  >  If it doesn't, then there's a choice between getting the cache to store
  > the source: tag and making that work correctly, or alternatively any time
  > someone changes the source list, then the entire cache could be
  > invalidated.  The latter is obviously pretty icky.
the logic that I'm used to is:
objects in the cache are handled somewhat different from queries to the
database servers.
In general the objects in the cache take precedence over database queries
and the source: attribute is ignored (and not required) in the cache file.

Ruediger

Ruediger Volk

Deutsche Telekom AG -- Internet Backbone Engineering

E-Mail:  rv@NIC.DTAG.DE