List:       irrtoolset
Subject:    Re: RPSL automation
From:       Nick Hilliard <nick () inex ! ie>
Date:       2009-05-22 18:13:59

On 20/05/2009 12:56, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> I've created a branch called "cruft-cleanout" (r225) and have deleted
> all of this stuff from it, leaving only librpsl, peval, rpslcheck and
> RtConfig as the primary targets of the distribution. The reduction was
> done by removing aoe, roe, CIDRAdvisor, prtraceroute and prpath, and
> then carefully removing unreferenced, auto-generated and redundant code.
> This branch now contains about 60750 lines of code. The trunk contains a
> little more than 112kLoC, so this is a reduction of 46% of the entire
> code base.
>
> The next phase of this clean-up is to begin to look at manually removing
> some library dependencies from the remaining code base. There is some
> low hanging fruit here.

I've committed another monster patch on the cruft-cleanout branch as r226,
leaving 48.8kloc.  At this stage, about 57% of the codebase has been
removed with no loss of functionality.

The code (i.e. peval, RtConfig, rpslcheck and librpsl.a) now compiles and
runs successfully on linux (ubuntu 9.04)/x86, freebsd 7.2/amd64 and MacOSX
10.5.7.  If anyone has the time / inclination, maybe you could try
compiling it on your favourite system to see if it compiles / works.  In
particular, I haven't checked to see if it compiles or runs on solaris.

The remaining code in the source tree probably contains a number of
unreferenced C++ functions, particularly operators, where it's very
difficult to check if they are actually used in the code (ld --gc-sections
does not really help here).  I'm not going to chase these.

Nick

commit log: