List:       ipw2100-devel
Subject:    [Ipw2100-devel] another ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason -2
From:       Andreas Fehr <andreas () mrs ! ch>
Date:       2004-12-22 20:52:28

Hi, I'm new to the list here, but browsed the archive on sf.net, and at
least one of the messages there was interesting for me, as I have the
same problem (and I have an additional problem as English is not my
first language).

I have the error message ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason -2
(last 12 lines of dmesg below).

I wonder, what this error code -2 was and I played a little with my
configuration and it turned out, no matter where I copied these .fw
files, I always got this Reason -2 (even deleting the files from the
harddisk had the same result). For me, this is a problem with hotplug
and not with ipw2200.

I did not find any documentation on the return codes here (neither -2,
nor -5 nor 0xFFFFFFFE, but I have to admit, I didn't look to hard),
perhaps this would be interesting to hear from the developers, if they
can give a hint about the error codes?

I have udev as hotplug application and don't know yet, if I have to
replace this by hotplug or if they cooperate. I suspect the problem is
there somewhere. So if anybody has udev (from LFS) and hotplug working
together, please let me know.

And if there has been another discussion about this topic already,
please tell me where it is.

Thanks,
Andreas

ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 0.19
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:0d.0[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
ipw2200: U ipw_pci_probe pci_resource_len = 0x00001000
ipw2200: U ipw_pci_probe pci_resource_base = e02cc000
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason -2
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ipw2200: probe of 0000:01:0d.0 failed with error -5