List:       ipw2100-devel
Subject:    Re: [Ipw2100-devel] ipw2200
From:       Alexandre Aractingi <aaractingi () libertysurf ! fr>
Date:       2004-10-27 9:29:46

Le mardi 26 octobre 2004 à 18:04 -0600, Sergio Rodriguez a écrit :
> all of this on shell as root?

No, the compiling process can be done as user (it's even recommended,
actually you just log in as root when you really need it, and log off
right after).

> and what do you mean by:
>
> >- download the binary firmware from
> >http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=2 and copy them
> >to /lib/hotplug/firmware :
> >ipw2200_boot.fw
> >ipw2200_bss.fw
> >ipw2200_ibss.fw
> >ipw2200_ucode.fw
> I mean, I know I have to downlad the binary firmware, but what do you mean
> to copy them to .....? is that text im supposed to copy and paste in
> ipw2200_boot.fw, ipw2200_bss.fw, etc?

Those are just the names of the files you're supposed to extract to
the /lib/hotplug/firmware directory (the link I provided will let you
download the tgz containing the 4 .fw files, you want to extract them to
the mentioned dir). And you need to be root to perform this operation,
as the /lib/hotplug/firmware dir is write-protected for regular users.

(here are the steps:
- go to http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=2 and click "I
agree" and save the ipw2200-fw-2.0.tgz file.
- open a shell (as user) and cd to the directory where you saved
ipw2200-fw-2.0.tgz
- enter "tar -zxvf ipw2200-fw-2.0.tgz" (it will extract the files and
put them in a new dir called ipw2200-fw-2.0
- enter "cd ipw2200-fw-2.0" to go to that dir
- enter "su" and enter your root password
- enter "cp *.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/." to copy the files to the
appropriate dir.

I just had your other mail saying you downloaded the 2.6 package
(RPM ?). To install it just enter "rpm -i name_of_your_2.6_package.rpm"
it'll install it and add a new boot entry for it. Reboot your computer
and choose the 2.6 entry at the lilo prompt. Good luck!

--
Alexandre Aractingi <aaractingi@libertysurf.fr>