List:       ipsec
Subject:    Re: IPsec Architecture -- proposed changes
From:       "C. Harald Koch" <chk () utcc ! utoronto ! ca>
Date:       1997-10-11 3:12:32

Nice idea. However, since the packets that generate the "TTL expired"
message are encrypted, it's kinda difficult (read impossible) to figure out
who the *original* unencapsulated packet came from, and so return the TTL
expired message. Net result: a traceroute output with lots of "* * *" lines,
which is *not* productive to diagnostics.

To go back to your original point: if you want source routing, use source
routing. If you want tunnelling, do tunnelling. Don't try to mix the two;
you'll get the worst of both worlds.

We don't know what to do with multicast in an IPsec context. Leave it for
IPsecond.

The outer TTL should not be copied to the inner TTL on decapsulation.

--
Harald Koch <chk@utcc.utoronto.ca>