List:       ipsec
Subject:    Re[2]: IPSEC and NAT
From:       pcalhoun () usr ! com
Date:       1997-08-19 13:51:50

The problem you run into is that the initiator of the packet is
     changed by the NAT.

     For those of you who do not know what NAT does, it is very simple.
     Imagine a box which has ONE valid Internet address on one side, and a
     whole private network on the other (say NET10). When a packet is
     initiated on the private network, the NAT changes the address to it's
     public address, and changes the port number to one that is currently
     un-used by the NAT (it also records the port number to reference the
     real initiator of the packet's address and port). It then sends out
     the packet to the internet.

     Once the packet is received by the target host, it would assume that
     it needs to setup an SA with the NAT instead of with a host with a
     private address (which has been changed by the NAT). Since the NAT was
     not the initiator of the ISAKMP exchange there is alot of confusion.
     One REALLY STUPID way of doing it is to share the private/public keys
     between the host and the NAT (I DO NOT RECCOMEND YOU TO DO THIS AT
     HOME). An alternative is for the NAT to run in tunnel mode on behalf
     of the initiator (but this assumes that the initiator trusts the NAT,
     which it probably does not).

     So, this is the problem. I am anxious to hear of some solutions to get
     around this limitation.

     PatC

     PS: For the record, I also dislike writing protocols around NAT.