List:       ipsec
Subject:    Re: [IPsec] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters-00.
From:       Benjamin Schwartz <ietf () bemasc ! net>
Date:       2023-02-28 18:24:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

A solution to this problem would be very helpful to draft-xu-risav, so I'm
definitely supportive of more work on this.

--Ben Schwartz

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 3:14 AM Steffen Klassert <
steffen.klassert@secunet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we just published a new informal problem statement draft
> (draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters-00.txt)
> about ESP sequence number problems when using multiple CPU
> cores, QoS etc.
>
> At the last working group meeting in London, it was quite
> some interest to work on a re-design of ESP to make it fit
> to the multi-cpu case, QoS classes, HW offloads, multipath,
> multicast, etc.
>
> This is a first approach to describe the problems we have
> with the current ESP protocol.
>
> Comments welcome!
>
> Steffen
>
> ----- Forwarded message from internet-drafts@ietf.org -----
>
> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:14:14 -0800
> From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
> To: Michael Pfeiffer <michael.pfeiffer@tu-ilmenau.de>, Michael Rossberg <
> michael.rossberg@tu-ilmenau.de>, Steffen Klassert
>         <steffen.klassert@secunet.com>
> Subject: New Version Notification for
> draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters-00.txt
>

> A new version of I-D,
> draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters-00.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Steffen Klassert and posted to the
> IETF repository.
>
> Name:           draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters
> Revision:       00
> Title:          Problem statements and uses cases for lightweight Child
> Security Associations
> Document date:  2023-02-27
> Group:          Individual Submission
> Pages:          15
> Html:
> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters-00.html
> Htmlized:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters
>

> Abstract:
>    IKE SAs may have one or more child SAs that are used for traffic
>    protection.  This document collects arguments for (and against)
>    having more fine-grained sub-child-SAs.  They can be used to separate
>    data streams for various technical reasons but share the same
>    security properties and traffic selectors.  This shall allow for a
>    more flexible use of IPsec in multiple scenarios.
>

> The IETF Secretariat
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

I&#39;m definitely supportive of more work on \
class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 3:14 AM \
Steffen Klassert &lt;<a \
href="mailto:steffen.klassert@secunet.com">steffen.klassert@secunet.com</a>&gt; \
wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px \
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi,<br> <br>
we just published a new informal problem statement draft<br>
(draft-mrossberg-ipsecme-multiple-sequence-counters-00.txt)<br>
about ESP sequence number problems when using multiple CPU<br>
cores, QoS etc.<br>
At the last working group meeting in London, it was quite<br>
some interest to work on a re-design of ESP to make it fit<br>
to the multi-cpu case, QoS classes, HW offloads, multipath, <br>
multicast, etc.<br>
This is a first approach to describe the problems we have<br>
with the current ESP protocol.<br>
Comments welcome!<br>
Steffen<br>
----- Forwarded message from <a href="mailto:internet-drafts@ietf.org" \