List:       ipsec
Subject:    [IPsec] RFC5996 section 2.13
From:       Sean Lawless <sean () blunkmicro ! com>
Date:       2013-11-13 6:33:07

Hello,

I am implementing RFC 5996 and am confused with section 2.13.  The text defines
prf+ (K,S), but does not define K or S.  Specifically I am trying to generate
SKEYSEED using PRF_HMAC_SHA1.  The HMAC function takes a variable length data
and a secret.  For prf+ (K,S), are the nonce's (K) the data portion of the HMAC
algorithm or the secret?

2.13 mentions SK_d, SK_pi, etc. but these are not used until 2.14 where the same
description is duplicated from 2.13.  I would be grateful if K and S can be well
defined in section 2.13 instead of SK_d, SK_pi, etc.

Best Regards,

Sean Lawless
Sr. SW Engineer
Blunk Microsystems LLC