List:       ipsec
Subject:    Re: [IPsec] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nir-ipsecme-ike-tcp-00.txt
From:       Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-13 22:40:21

Hi Yoav,

thank you for the new draft. A few comments:

- Please mention the question of IKE keepalive messages ("liveness
check"). Do you expect these messages to each be on a new connection? Or
to preserve one long-lived one?
- The draft kind of skirts the question, and I would prefer to be clear:
we are standardizing new behavior for IKEv2, not for IKEv1.
- In the security considerations, we should mention that (under certain
assumptions), it is easier for an off-path attacker to reset a TCP
connection than a UDP "connection".
- There are obvious advantages to negotiating this capability: you don't
have clients sending SYNs that will get rejected by firewalls/endpoints.
Especially in IKEv2 where the heavy stuff only happens on message #3.
- 2.3: disallowing retransmissions implies a change on both transmitter
and receiver, and I think this is unnecessary. You can change the IKE
timeouts on the sender to achieve the same behavior, even if rarely an
odd retransmission does slip through.

Thanks,
	Yaron