List:       ipsec
Subject:    RE: [Ipsec] questions about OCSP in IKEv2(2)
From:       Charlie Kaufman <charliek () exchange ! microsoft ! com>
Date:       2006-03-31 6:56:54

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

> Then here is my question,
> (1)what is the meaning of "in-band" and "out-of-band" in IKE exchange? >Give some \
> examples?

IKEv2 allows some potentially large data items (like certificates and CRLs) to be \
sent "out of band". This means that in the IKEv2 exchange, instead of including the \
large data items the IKEv2 message carries a cryptographic hash of the data and a URL \
from which the data can be fetched. Retrieving these URLs can run over a different \
protocol (usually http) that runs over TCP and can therefore better cope with large \
data items.

> (2)Does OOB needs to use IPsec/IKE to access to CRLs? Then how does it >cause \
> network access deadlock?

In some configurations, the only way an endpoint can retrieve the URL named in the \
IKEv2 exchange is by tunneling the request over the IPsec connection being \
established. For example, if my laptop is creating an IPsec tunnel to my corporate \
intranet and the CRL is only available on the corporate intranet, then I cannot \
retrieve the CRL until I have completed the IKEv2 exchange. If I refused to complete \
the creation of the IPsec tunnel until I had verified the CRL, this would create a \
deadlock.

This can in practice be avoided by software that conditionally opens the IPsec tunnel \
before verifying the CRL. It can then retrieve the CRL over the IPsec tunnel, verify \
it, and then open the IPsec tunnel for other uses.

Unfortunately, while simple to describe it can be difficult to implement depending on \
how the software on the endpoint is structured.

> (3)What do OCSP Responder Hash and OCSP Response on earth present for?

I don't know. Perhaps someone else on this list can help with this one.

        --Charlie Kaufman