List:       ipng
Subject:    RE: MLD MIB
From:       "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen () lucent ! com>
Date:       2001-01-26 11:39:29

Comments inline

> ----------

Mmm... maybe... but I wonder if that was intentional.
Anyway... the ipv6mib design team is looking at these MIBs and
they will come up with proposed new (clariying text).

> > They seem very much the same to me.
> > And certainly, the data on the wire keeps to be an Integer32 with the
> > same range!! The same is true for the other editorial changes.
>
> Oh, yes, the *encoding* is identical.  But if you - as I have done - has
> implemented IPV6-MIB according to abovementioned interpretation - the
> *values* are different.
>
> > > and replacing the latter with the former forces changes in all
> > > implementations.  Cf discussion on the IPv6 Design Team homepage
> > I do not see what needs to be changed in implementations.
> >
> > > <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/ietf/ipv6mib-dt>.
> > >
> > That Design Team has been becoming active again, and they currently
> > believe that it is best to get rid of Ipv6IfIndex. And they are looking
> at
> > existing MIBs that use this TC to see what changes are needed. And
> > they will soon submit I-Ds (I hope) to be discussed.
>
> That would please me - if this is to be done, it must be done soon.
> 'Cause that change *will* force me to change implementation.  (no big
> deal, of course - actually a simplification.)

Good to hear it is a simplification in yoru eyes.
The DT is working hard on the MIBs. I hope to see I-Ds pretty soon now.

> > > Unfortunately that discussion never reached a conclusion, so the
> MLD-MIB
> > > designers do not really have any guidance in the choice between the
> two
> > > schemes.  Say, if the design team had concluded to do away with the
> > > Ipv6IfIndex in the IPV6-MIB and friends, the MLD-MIB should of course
> do
> > > the same.
> > >
> > > From my own position, the proposed change does not hurt, for I have
> not
> > > completed the implementation of the MLD-MIB.  But anyone with a
> working
> > > implementation of MLD-MIB will have to modify code to adapt to this
> > > change.
> > >
> > As I said I doubt they have to change much code (if any). All depends a
> bit
> > on how an implementation was done. If anyone who implemented the MIB
> > and who sees a big issue with this editorial change... pls scream.
>
> Couldn't agree more.  I'm not screaming.  Just noticing :-)

Good. So I went ahead and asked RFC-Editor to make those "editorial changes"

Bert