List:       ipng
Subject:    RE: src addr sel
From:       Mauro Tortonesi <mauro () ferrara ! linux ! it>
Date:       2001-01-26 19:46:01

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Richard Draves wrote:

first of all, thank for your reply. although i am surely not an expert
kernel-level programmer, i am very interested in this argument.

> [Resending from my Hotmail account. I fear the original did not make it out
> to the list.]

maybe because of problems with the net at your workplace, lately? ;-)
don't be offended, it happens to everyone :-(

> >i wonder if there is a working implementation of dest/src address
> >selection that is fully conformant to this spec. i'd really like to know
> >how the implementation issues have been solved.
>
> Yes, I have implemented it. It's pretty easy to implement. Basically when
> getaddrinfo gets more than one address back from DNS, it uses an ioctl to
> call down to the IPv6 stack to sort the addresses. Then all the real work is
> in the IPv6 stack, where there is direct access to information like the
> interfaces, addresses, routing table, etc.

is there an opensource or free-software implementation? i'd REALLY like to
take a look a it. i guess you have implemented this feature only in w2k,
haven't you?

> Another solution is to keep an invalidation counter

this is a much more performant and interesting strategy than resorting
a list every second. maybe you can add these considerations in the next
version of your paper.

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi			mauro@ferrara.linux.it
Ferrara Linux User Group	http://www.ferrara.linux.it
Project6 - IPv6 for Linux	http://project6.ferrara.linux.it