List:       ipng
Subject:    What "unassigned bits" in IPv4 TOS ?
From:       "JIM FLEMING" <jfleming () anet ! com>
Date:       2000-11-21 18:16:24

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Eklund <thomas.eklund@xelerated.com>
> Why do you think we need to take extra bits from the flow-label? The way I
> thougth most people saw it was to use to two unassigned bits in IPv4
> ToS/IPv6 Traffic Class field for ecn??

What "unassigned bits" in IPv4 TOS ?

Next, are we going to see that 0100 is the version number "4" and clearly
those 0's are not being used for much, so they are "unassigned" ? If so,
let's
make them 0101 (i.e. 5) and hope that the unassigned bit makes it to the
other "end", (as in end-to-end)...let's see how far the IPv4 header gets
with
a 0101 in the first few bits....?...what fun...

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif