List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 6094) Re:  jumbogram implementations
From:       thartric () mentat ! com (Tim Hartrick)
Date:       1998-07-31 18:30:08

Steve,

> Has there been more than one implementation of the IPv6 Jumbo Payload
> option, and if so, have different implementations been shown to
> interoperate?

I have played with an implementation but I have never actually completed
one and gotten it running over a link which really supports an MTU greater
than 65575.  My tests to this point have been over spoofed up Ethernet and
FDDI interfaces that do link-layer fragmentation and reassembly.

> This question arises as part of the IESG's deliberations about advancing
> the IPv6 spec to Draft Standard.  If there haven't been multiple,
> interoperable implementations of jumbograms, we'll probably have to move
> that feature into a separate spec, e.g., an Experimental status RFC,
> in order to allow the base IPv6 to advance.  Please let me know as soon
> as possible if there has been successful jumbogram interoperability.

I actually think it would be a good idea to seperate the jumbogram option
description from the base document and place it in the document which
describes all the other details of jumbogram operation (if that document
still exists).  That would provide implementors a self-contained description
for the option and its mechanics.

In addition while playing with my implementation it dawned on me that there
were some areas in which I thought the mechanics of the option could be
improved from a performance point of view.  Unfortunately, the details have
long since been forgotten but it does reinforce the point that this feature
may not have had the implementation scrutiny that it deserves.

Just my << $.02 worth of opinion.

tim