List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 4993) Multicast destination and routing header
From:       JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?=
Date:       1997-11-29 11:19:22

In RFC1883(and in the new drafts), I saw the following restriction
on using the type-0 routing header:

   Multicast addresses must not appear in a Routing header of Type 0, or
   in the IPv6 Destination Address field of a packet carrying a Routing
   header of Type 0.

But if we follow the algorithm after the statement, we'll accept such
a packet when the segments left field of the routing header is 0.

The algorithm says that

   if Segments Left = 0 {
      proceed to process the next header in the packet, whose type is
      identified by the Next Header field in the Routing header
   }

that is, if the segments left is 0, the packet is simply accepted.

Is it a right behavior? If not, it seems to me that we should check
the IPv6 destination address before processing the packet. For
example, the above algorithm should be

   if Segments Left = 0 {
	if IPv6 Destination Address is multicast {
		discard the packet
	}
	else {
	    proceed to process the next header in the packet, whose type is
	    identified by the Next Header field in the Routing header
	}
   }

Or do I miss something? If anyone know the answer, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Comm. and Info. Systems Research Labs.
					Toshiba R&D Center