List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 4211) Re:  ND: Change default prefix Lifetime from infinity?
From:       Thomas Narten <narten () raleigh ! ibm ! com>
Date:       1997-07-30 19:55:24

> I'm not sure that I understand it. My assumption was that if a host was
> powered off and then came up on a link, it would not have any prefix
> information or non-link-local addresses prior to receiving a RA (which
> could be solicited to expedite the autoconfiguration process).

I think this is a reasonable assumption, and I suspect that many
(most?) implementations will do just that.

> You seem to be implying that it is not necessary true and hosts may
> have pre-configured non-volatile addresses.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if some implementations
form addresses via stateless addrconf, and then store those addresses
on disk. I don't believe that this is prohibited by the spec.

Have any implementations chosen to do something like this?

Also, getting new RAs may lead to getting new prefixes. An
implementation that has stored "old" prefixes that are no longer being
advertised may choose to continue using them in addition to using the
new ones.

> In this case I'd argue that a host that was statefully configured in
> the first place should be statefully re-configured when its
> statefully configured address is to be changed.

In the case I mentioned above, stateful (i.e, DHCP) configuration
hasn't taken place. The node has simply chosen to store information
received in RAs in stable storage.

Thomas