List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 3713) Re: indicating globicity
From:       Erik Nordmark <nordmark () jurassic>
Date:       1997-05-27 20:14:29

> There's no required relationship between the "interface ID" field of an
> IPv6 anycast address and any MAC-layer address.

I think we are in violent agreement.
The issue is how to ensure that an IPv6 address, formed using stateless
addrconf using the  token for any link layer, is never identical to any
well-defined IPv6 anycast address.

> But we're talking about the IPv6 address space.  IPv6 addresses with the
> global bit set (as proposed) take their interface IDs from the universal
> EUI-64 space; IPv6 addresses with the global bit cleared do *not*
> necessarily take their interface IDs from the non-universal EUI-64 space,
> but rather from the space of the IPv6 subnet in which they are allocated.

Ah. The last part of the sentence was not clear and obvious to me hence the
confusion.

  Erik