List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 2642) Re:  IPv6 and PPP - discussing randomly chosen interface tokens
From:       Thomas Narten <narten () raleigh ! ibm ! com>
Date:       1996-12-21 14:51:10

>Why?  Because I cannot see why it is a good idea that addresses on PPP
>lines change every time the line goes down.  Please recall that
>interface tokens in the future IPv6 world with renumbering are not
>only used for link-local addresses; they are also intended to form the
>basis for the generation of global scope addresses.  Should every line
>fall-out make it necessary for the communication nodes to feed new
>addresses back into DNS?

I agree strongly with this. In the absence of a compelling motivation
on PPP's part, we should strive to avoid protocols/policies that have
a potential for generating spurious DNS updates. DNS updates are *not*
cheap, and likely never will be. This is especially true if DNS
updates may happen at a moment's notice, which in effect requires DNS
cache TTLs to be zero so that nobody ever caches an address that could
become invalid at any time.

Thomas