List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 2400) Re: Mike's 8+8
From:       bound () zk3 ! dec ! com
Date:       1996-10-29 5:29:26

Yes your right about the Danvers meeting.  We let this one sit around
too long I think.

I think your stating plagarism has taken place on both counts?  You
might want to take that offline with with the authors?  If it was me
I would and if it was true I would be upset too.

Do you have patents in Japan?  I don't particularly like them in the
U.S. but this is the reason we do them here in some cases.  But orginal
ideas are key to any patent and architecture is very hard to prove was
a sole original idea for addressing (and most architectures).

For example the first 8+8 like idea I recall was Paul Francis's PIP in
1992 I think.   It was not for addressing but routing but implied the
same idea.  Very tricky to prove the idea.  This was also a major point
of contention at the IPng Big Ten meeting (see RFC 1752) at an IPng
Directorate meeting in Chicago June 1994 I think (off the top of my
head).  I think Mike has finally crystalized an 8+8 proposal that will
work but more importantly can be implemented.  But I am just one person
and open to hear issues I may have missed in the draft.

I bet though that if you worked with Mike or Fred they would listen to
the input.  It sounds like you agree with both principles
architecturally?  It would be good if we could get these two solved
quickly it sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and if you
would give details on where you think the specs specifically are in
error it would be very useful to me and I am sure to others.
I got customers that want IPv6 deployed and it is not going to happen
unless we fix the addressing specs and they also want the IETF to figure
out the use of flows and I think want L2 switching too.  So I have a
selfish reason to hear your input and I admit it.  We need to get all
the folks input on these a.s.a.p.  Plus its going to affect the existing
code base and specs somewhat and we should get that done too.

/jim