List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 702) Re:  ND neighbor cache states.
From:       nordmark () jurassic-248 (Erik Nordmark)
Date:       1995-09-26 23:15:54

Your proposal looks good. I think it will simplify the
description of NUD.

The only thing I wanted to add is that the state should be STALE
for at least DELAY_FIRST_PROBE_TIME seconds in order to supress probes
when upper layer advise might be coming.

The way I understand your proposal the state changes look something
like this (please correct me if I am wrong):

State		Event					Action
REACHABLE	Sending packet and at least 		State is STALE
		ReachableTime since the last
		reachability confirmation.

no cache entry	Receive unsolicited information		Create cache entry
		(e.g. Neighbor Solicitation)		State is STALE

STALE		Sending packet and at least 		Send probe
		DELAY_FIRST_PROBE_TIME since going	State is PROBE
		to STALE state.

PROBE		Timer fired (every RetransTimer) with	Send probe
		less than MAX_UNICAST_SOLICIT probes
		sent.

PROBE		Timer fired (every RetransTimer) with	Discard cache entry
		MAX_UNICAST_SOLICIT probes sent.

any state	Receive reachability 			State is REACHABLE
		confirmation (upper layer
		advise or Neighbor Advertisement
		with the Solicited flag set)

   Erik