List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 695) NS and static routes
From:       qv () iol ! unh ! edu (Quaizar Vohra)
Date:       1995-09-25 22:30:22

I was testing DECs implementation and I did this :
ip6_route add 1:2:3:4:5:6:7:0 ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:0 fe80::0800:200d:b413
and then ip6 pinged to 1:2:3:4:5:6:7:8
ping replies in the negative and I kill the ping process

The router address just corresponded to another machine which has no notion
of ND and so obviously never replies back to  NSs sent to it. So ping fails.
So there is no active traffic to 1:2:3:4:5:6:7:0 and nor to this
router after ping process is killed.

I kept on getting NS messges for this router (fe80::0800:200d:b413) infinitely.
and that too multicast ones. As far as my knowledge of ND and NUD goes this
shouldn't be the case ( I am sorry if I am overlooking something ). Can
someone enlighten me on this.

Since this is not a default router, it would be used only when the net
1:2:3:4:5:6:7:0 is actively sent packets. So we should a dest-cache and
neighbor-cache entries created and then NS sent for finding the link layer
of the router. After MAX_MULTICAST_SOLICIT solicitations the cached entries
should be deleted and I should not see any more NSs multicasted.

Any comments would be of great help.

Thanks
Quaizar