List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 342) Re: multi-homed hosts
From:       hinden () Ipsilon ! COM (Bob Hinden)
Date:       1995-06-30 1:06:03

Folks,

A few thoughts on multi-homed hosts in IPv6.

1) Doing a good job dealing with multi-homed hosts in IPv6 is a good idea.
There are many multi-homed hosts now and I think we will see more in the
future.

2) Currently the majority of hosts are not multi-homed and I do not think
single-homed hosts should be required to support the mechanisms for being
multi-homed.

3) Dealing with multi-homed hosts is hard.  The problem has been around for
a long time.  It has a number of aspects (selection of best routes, source
address selection, routerless operation, security, etc.).  I suspect it
will take a long time to develop a satisfactory overall solution for
multi-homed support.

4) The problem looks to me like a routing problem.  I do not think the
solution should part of neighbor discovery.  I am not certain, but I wonder
if we develop a new mechanism to handle multi-homed hosts, we will end up
developing a protocol which looks a lot like a routing protocol (i.e., has
metrics, routes, masks, etc).  I also wonder if some of the work on demand
routing is relevant here.

5) I am also not convinced that the current IPv4 solution of listening to
RIP updates is so bad.  It does not work in all environments, but in a lot
of environments it seems to work well.  I don't think we should be so quick
to discard it.

These issues clearly need to be discussed in Stockholm.  I don't think we
should hold up the ND work to add multi-homed host support.  I would prefer
it being in a separate document.

Bob