List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 335) Re: multi-homed hosts
From:       Dan Harrington <dan () lkg ! dec ! com>
Date:       1995-06-29 16:03:43

Hi Thomas,

In responding to Ran you stated:

> I agree that there are still scenarios that neither v4 or the ND solve
> satisfactorily, namely, selecting which outgoing *interface* to use in
> forwarding a packet to an off-link destination.

I'd just like to point out (as I did off-line at the interim meeting)
that the problem isn't limited to off-link destinations...if a
multihomed host has to transmit a packet to a Link-Local destination
address, it still has no idea which source address/interface to use.
In particular, the statement in Section 9 that packets should only be
transmitted on links with routers (and hence learned prefixes) will
cause connectivity problems for hosts using link-local addresses.

For this particular case I'd suspect that doing Neighbor Solicitation
on all interfaces would be appropriate, but this is yet another
mechanism which falls outside the scope of Neighbor Discover per se.

Dan