List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: Flow Identification in IPv6
From:       Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-03-09 4:03:22

On 09-Mar-21 05:31, Tom Herbert wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 2:38 AM Yangfan (IP Standard)
> <shirley.yangfan@huawei.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Literally speaking, IPv6  Flow Label could be used to identify a specific flow \
> > needing redundancy protection in SRv6 data plane. But I may have concerns that \
> > flow label cannot be protected to be unmodified en route. A modified flow label \
> > can be a disaster for the traffics  which are seeking for deterministic \
> > forwarding, not only this flow, also affecting other flows using redundancy \
> > protection. And with several security issues mentioned in RFC6437, I doubt if it \
> > is a good idea to user IPv6 Flow Label.
> > Just my 2cents opinion, how do you and other people see it?
> >

> If this is to be used in a SRv6 domain which is itself a limited
> domain, then I think the problems you mention aren't as much of a
> concern since flow label would be used in a controlled environment.
> The upside of using flow label is that it's already in the IPv6
> header, it can be consumed by non-SRv6 devices, and putting the same
> information in TLVs incurs the overhead and cost of processing TLVs in
> the critical datapath.

The main downside is that it cannot convey any semantics and there is
a rule about how its value is created. It's no more at risk of being
modified than any other unauthenticated header field, so I agree that
within an SRV6 domain malicious modification doesn't seem like a
big risk. An attacker who could do that could do any kind of damage
they wanted.

Regards
    Brian