List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum: Protocol-based improvements (Re: [v6ops] cpe-slaac-renum: Proposed
From:       James R Cutler <james.cutler () consultant ! com>
Date:       2020-04-08 22:13:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> On Apr 8, 2020, at 5:24 PM, Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> wrote:
>
> We have discussed this for over a year now. Ole has repeatedly argued that this is \
> not a problem, or that this is not a problem worth solving, because the networks \
> that face these problems suffer from the incompetence/lack of knowledge of their \
> admins/operators (even after multiple-statements from operators on why these \
> scenarios take place). He deems these occurrences as rare, while concrete data and \
> anecdotal evidence suggests 40% of deployments doing dynamic addresses. In such \
> scenarios, he argues that the user should switch ISPs, when in so many different \
> places I know of, there is no other ISP to switch to.

The suggestion to switch ISPs is ludicrous if the ‘ISP' is a corporate network.

Yet, I seldom hear any real business considerations. In my experience, large \
corporate networks maintain a division of both responsibility between routing \
configuration and end system configuration. Every ‘router engineer' I have worked \
with had to serve his management's desire for robust and reliable routing of packets \
in a manner completely orthogonal to end system configuration. Router firmware and \
configuration updates are considered to be a business risk to be minimized so adding \
miscellaneous options ND/RA is strongly discouraged. Conversely, management of \
services and end systems rarely even consider how packets are routed. Rather, \
services like print, ntp, DNS, email, file servers, and, even Windows Domain Servers \
are managed with a view to supporting business functions. Often, the business \
requirements of various internal divisions only overlap in the common routing domain \
and enterprise DNS root servers. Division management is often by local fiefdom with \
minimal concern for other divisions so local changes and optimizations are done \
independently, often at the whim of the current division leader.

The usual dialog between these two ‘worlds' revolves around the number of ethernet \
jacks and existence of DHCP forwarders with an occassional foray into capacity \
planning. So the existence of two tool sets to meet the differing needs should not be \
unexpected. RA's should provide all necessary routing information for stateless \
configuration of adjacent end systems. Differently, DHCPv6 and DHCP-PD are driven by \
business allocation of resources and must be allowed to exist in parallel to meet \
business requirements. Mixing router configuration and operation requirements with \
end system configuration and operation requirements by enforcing a single multi-tool \
for all may simplify life for some particular set of technicians, but in the end, it \
will make corporate management more complicated and expensive that it already has \
become.