List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: [bess] FW: New Version Notification for draft-litkowski-bess-rfc5549revision-00.txt
From:       Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-11-23 15:52:40

Hi Stephanie

+ 6MAN & Spring

I was thinking about the BGP capability exchange between address families concept \
from a 6MAN and operations perspective treating the next hop as a pure ubiquitous \
transport carrying v4 and v6 NLRI and the significance and advantages from a \
deployment perspective.

So RFC 5549 has been around now for 10 years but from an operations perspective it \
has not gotten as much adoption industry wide to take advantage of this major \
benefit.

I think what would help in the update of this draft is defining use cases for \
operators along with the technical specifications related to carrying IPv4 NLRI in \
IPv6 next hop.  I think also should mention carrying IPv6 NLRI in IPv4 next hop.

From a use case perspective I think this would provide a significant advantage \
towards moving to an IPv6 core.  So that could be an underlay of  MPLS LDPv6, \
SR-MPLS, SRv6.  The result of keeping the next hop peering as a pure transport and \
leveraging carrying IPv4 NLRI with IPv6 next hop would be the elimination of IPV4 \
peers at the edge as well as now within the core being IPv6 only.  This from an \
operations perspective would be an initial learning curve with the FFFF:loopback IPv4 \
derived IPv6 next hop but from a support perspective all IPv4 peers and VPNV4 peers \
could be eliminated for both enterprise and service provider deployments.

I had not thought about MVPN and EVPN but I guess this same concept could apply \
treating the next hop IPv6 peering as pure transport and carrying V4 NLRI route \
types.

Thoughts?

Gyan

Sent from my iPhone