List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: "In-Flight IPv6 Extension Header Insertion Considered Harmful" (draft-smith-6man-in-flight-eh-in
From:       Erik Nordmark <erik () zededa ! com>
Date:       2019-10-10 13:59:16

On 10/9/19 7:37 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Despite what was clarified in RFC 8200, it seems this ID is needed.

Mark,

I think there are critical technical aspects which are missing.
The key one to me is that ICMP error messages generated they would
include the inserted headers, which unless removed at the boundary would
confuse the original sender since the sender didn't include that
extension header.

Thus if the goal for in-flight EH insertion is to be transparent to the
rest of the network, the solution needs to rewrite the inside of any
ICMP error that has been generated between the ingress and egress of the
EH insertion.
If PMTUd is to work, that includes calculating the MTU to report to the
originator.

There are some other issues if the path MTU between the ingress and
egress gets close to 1280, because in the worst case that means that a
1280 byte original can't make it across the in-flight path without
someone fragmenting it, and PMTUd can't be used to get an IPv6 sender to
fragment something which is 1280 bytes or less.

I can't tell from the draft whether you want to expand and focus on the
technical description of the issues with in-flight insertion and the
requirements if this is supposed to be transparent to the rest of the
Internet, or if you want to expand and focus on the more philosophical
arguments.

Regards,
   Erik