List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-voyer-6man-extension-header-insertion-07.txt
From:       Mark Smith <markzzzsmith () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-09-22 0:58:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, 03:02 Voyer, Daniel, <daniel.voyer@bell.ca> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> Sent from my mobile
>
> > On Sep 21, 2019, at 00:54, Joel M. Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com> wrote:
> >
> > I see where the draft defines a set of constraints.
> > The constraint that there be no other extension headers is a fairly
> drastic constraint, which would seem a cause for concern.
> >
> > Putting that aside however, the draft does not seem to provide any
> explanation for why insertion rather than additional encapsulation is
> used.  Particularly given the assumption that the MTU is large enough, it
> seems the encapsulation could be used for all insertion cases.
> >
> DV: correct, you can use encapsulations but at the cost of 40bytes
> overhead. Running an operators backbone, with a widespread among of use
> cases, you need those bytes..

Clear evidence that 128 bit SIDs are the actual problem.

These SIDs can literally encode more values than the entire possible IPv6
unicast address space can. There can literally be more SID values than
there will ever be IPv6 hosts for all time.

That can't be a requirement if SR can operate adequately operate over MPLS
with only 20 bit SIDs. Surely 16 or 32 bit SIDs would be adequate when
operating SR over IPv6.

Give up these massive 128 bit SIDs for a much more functionally appropriate
size and you can use RFC8200 compliant operations without any overhead
concerns.