List:       ipng
Subject:    RE: ICMPv6 question
From:       "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin () boeing ! com>
Date:       2017-08-31 23:51:12

HI Bert,

Yes - host.

> Assuming that the prefix length is the same for the intended destination of the \
> packet and for the host that received the packet, so the packet is not misrouted,

Yes - assume that the prefix 2001:db8::/64 is assigned to the incoming interface.

> then this sounds like what you'd frequently expect to see in older Ethernets,
> either coax Ethernets or half duplex ones that use hubs. But why didn't the \
> Ethernet interface discard the packet? The MAC address should not have matched. Was \
> it a ND failure scenario of some kind?

I am assuming that the bogus packet uses a correct MAC destination address
but with an incorrect IPv6 destination address. So, the packet gets handed
up to the IPv6 layer.

> (In general, I don't see why a host should send host unreachable ICMP messages.)

Drop silent would make sense to me, too - but do others think an ICMP
should be generated?

Thanks - Fred