List:       ipng
Subject:    RE: 6man: creating virtual multipoint interfaces
From:       "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin () boeing ! com>
Date:       2017-08-09 21:57:07

Hi Toerless,

We have been working with point-to-multipoint tunnels (actually NBMA) for a long
time. The earliest examples were RFC2529 and RFC5214, but we have carried the
model forward into our current AERO proposal:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-aerolink/

Of these proposals:

 - RFC2529 uses multicast-in-multicast encapsulation so that true multicast is used
   in the underlay.
- RFC5214 is unicast-only
- AERO can use either multicast-in-multicast or unicast-emulated multicast such
  as your message described.

All of these works use IPv6 ND messaging over tunnels.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com