List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: Unclear text [was IID length text [was Re: Review of draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-06]]
From:       otroan () employees ! org
Date:       2017-01-18 13:34:37

Brian,

> > "Not clear" != "faulty".
>
> On the contrary, in a standards document, "Not clear" == "faulty"
>
> Really. If we publish text that is logically correct but can easily
> be misread (or, of course, text that is ambiguous) then it's faulty text.
>
> (On a personal note, I have always tried to discipline myself thus:
> if *anybody* misinterprets some text that I wrote, however clear
> I believe it to be, then it's the text that needs fixing, not the
> reader.)

In the parts of a document describing the exact protocol specification and where it \
affects interoperability I do agree with you. In other parts of a document I think \
ambiguity  and leaving leeway up to future readers is perfectly fine. Being very \
strict about this, might lead us into being prescriptive where we have no business \
being prescriptive.

O.