List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: Errata for RFC4862
From:       Tim Chown <Tim.Chown () jisc ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2017-01-12 14:29:33

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

Hi Mark,

On 10 Jan 2017, at 21:45, Mark Smith \
<markzzzsmith@gmail.com<mailto:markzzzsmith@gmail.com>> wrote:

On 11 Jan. 2017 6:32 am, "神明達哉" <jinmei@wide.ad.jp<mailto:jinmei@wide.ad.jp>> \
wrote: At Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:45:27 +0000,
Tim Chown <Tim.Chown@jisc.ac.uk<mailto:Tim.Chown@jisc.ac.uk>> wrote:

> My recollection of running renumbering experiments is that it's the
> Preferred Lifetime that matters, i.e. when that is set to zero for a
> prefix, the prefix is marked as deprecated.  So when renumbering,
> you run with two prefixes advertised, old and new, setting the
> Preferred Lifetime to 0 on the old prefix (even though the Valid
> Lifetime is set to 2+ hours), so that the address with the new
> prefix is used for newly initiated communications (as per RFC 6724,
> Rule 3).

Yes, but I guess what Ole tried to point out (which I agree with) is
that the valid lifetime will also have to decrease to 0 eventually,
and this original text of RFC4862 allows such decrease operation
without requiring explicit authentication if done by gradually:

If that is the case (and I don't think it is, it creates the DoS opportunity that all \
other >2 hr checks attempt to defeat), then I think it needs to be far better and \
more explicitly explained, including the sequence of events.

What is the use case that can't be achieved by setting the preferred lifetime to \
zero, immediately deprecating the addresses (and a VL of 2 hours to cause them to \
disappear shortly).

If it is to remove addresses immediately from a host by setting the RA PIO VL to zero \
- actually that's not going to work, because seeing VL to zero will fail the greater \
than remaining time check.

It would be very laborious to try to remove an address by only being able to send a \
VL greater than the address's remaining time. Letting the address age out/expire \
naturally by itself by stopping sending the RA PIO for the prefix wolf be easier and \
I think quicker.

Yes, the process you describe is exactly what RFC 4192 recommends for renumbering, \
and which was tested on common OSes at the time that RFC was written. To begin the \
renumbering process, you run with PL 0 and VL 2hrs on the "old" prefix, and with \
normal values on the "new" prefix.  To transition to just the new prefix in use, you \
stop advertising the old prefix, such that addresses formed from it will become \
invalid and be removed, and during which time the address generated from the new \
prefix will be used due to RFC 6724 Rule 3.

So from that perspective, there's no need to change RFC 4862 to allow an \
unauthenticated VL < 2hrs.

Tim

Regards,
Mark.