List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05.txt
From:       Erik Nordmark <nordmark () acm ! org>
Date:       2016-04-20 22:35:19

On 4/14/16 5:30 AM, otroan@employees.org wrote:
> David,
>
> > > In general I'd prefer that we reuse existing mechanisms for path mtu
> > > discovery, and not invent new ones purely for the case of two directly
> > > connected neighbors.
> > That's actually the crux of it: this isn't Path MTU discovery.  The MTU
> > discovered by this mechanism is the first-hop MTU for a lot of paths in
> > case of a router and it's going to be distinct from the final PMTU
> > towards a particular destination.  Plus, state on this only ever exists
> > for direct neighbors, not for any random internet host.
> why couldn't it be done as end-to-end MTU?
>
> the directly connected mechanism would be just to give a hint that there might be \
> nodes here capable of a higher MTU. then do normal MTU probing / detection.
> what would be gain be to have a specific protocol to probe directly connected \
> neighbors?

Ole,

AFAIR PLMTUD has an upper limit which is the interface MTU.
Thus at least an implementation would need to handle per neighbor MTU
instead of per-interface. But that doesn't require any new protocol
behavior.

If we suppose a mixture of nodes on a link - some with per-neighbor and
some per-interface, then I think things will work slightly more
efficiently if a per-neighbor node can easily tell whether to bother
with something larger than the default interface MTU (often 1500);
receiving some new flag or MTU value in a NS/NA would be sufficient as a
hint to try larger.
That might also help with corner cases where some old NICs fail/reset in
interesting ways if they receive a 9k frame.

FWIW I think it is a good idea to couple this with implementing PLMTUD.
That way at most we need a hint to try larger with the actual probing
being done as part of PLMTUD.

    Erik