List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: [v6ops] DNS AAAA for free
From:       Tim Chown <Tim.Chown () jisc ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2016-04-13 11:18:24

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

On 9 Apr 2016, at 14:11, Mark Smith \
<markzzzsmith@gmail.com<mailto:markzzzsmith@gmail.com>> wrote:

On 9 Apr 2016 8:55 PM, "Sander Steffann" \
<sander@steffann.nl<mailto:sander@steffann.nl>> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 08 Apr 2016, at 13:27, otroan@employees.org<mailto:otroan@employees.org> \
> > wrote:
> > Here is an interesting draft being presented in dnsop today.
> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vavrusa-dnsop-aaaa-for-free/?include_text=1
> >
> > The proposal is to allow AAAA records in response to A queries.
>
> One question: if clients send requests for both A and AAAA records simultaneously, \
> how will including the AAAA answer in the A request help? The client will just get \
> the AAAA answer twice: once on the A request and once on the AAAA request. If \
> lookups were serialised and the A request/response was completed before starting \
> the AAAA request it would make the second request unnecessary, but that's not what \
> I see in practice...
> It looks like good intentions, I'm just trying to figure out how this would work in \
> practice :)

Having briefly looked at it, it seems there is an efficiency benefit. However, \
answering an A query with both an A and AAAA response might incentivise just sending \
A queries.

Perhaps the opposite would be better - sending an AAAA query would result in an AAAA \
and A answer. That might create a small and subtle incentive to use and prefer IPv6, \
with Happy Eyeballs covering over IPv6 failures.

I am aware of ISPs who have deployed IPv6 to their customers, knowing they needed to \
scale their DNS provision, but have still had to hold further deployment until this \
was achieved.  It's not a huge issue, but any measures to help address scalability as \
you add IPv6 are likely to be welcomed.

But as others have pointed out, there are practicalities with the proposal.

Tim