List:       ipng
Subject:    RE: RFC4821 recommendation (RE: <draft-hinden-6man-rfc1981bis-00.txt>)
From:       "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin () boeing ! com>
Date:       2015-11-18 23:05:54

Hi Bob,

Thanks - I will look forward to reviewing the text.

> Note, I am very open to a new draft that compares the two approaches, says it's \
> important to not drop ICMPv6 Packet Too Big, contrasts the difference between \
> RFC1981 and RFC4821, etc.  To some degree this has been done before, and might be \
> better as a BCP in V6OPS.

I am not sure a comparison draft is needed if guidance like what I
recommended is folded into RFC1981(bis). In my investigations, I
have come to the conclusion that standard path MTU discovery is
the best solution in environments where it can be relied on, such
as within well-managed administrative domains. That is why I said
that RFC4821 is recommended for *Internet* destinations, since
there is no guarantee that authentic RFC1981-required ICMP PTBs
originating in the Internet will make it back to the original source.

In short, I think 1-2 sentences in RFC1918(bis) will be all that is
necessary if we get it right.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com